|1 - Small Plastic Ba...
|2 - Smiley Face Ball...
|3 - Chocolate Game C...
|4 - Large Milk Choco...
|5 - Box of Guylian S...
|6 - Happy Birthday C...
|7 - Walking Dinosaur...
|8 - Milk Chocolate P...
|9 - Gold Chocolate C...
|10 - Pug Dog Walking ...
This article could not only keep you out of trouble but also gain you a few brownie points in the process.
Okay, hands up – who finds it difficult, make that impossible, to buy gifts for their wife / girlfriend / sister / mother / anyone else of the female species? And who has fallen foul of these little stingers:
1 - She likes perfume, so you buy perfume –apparently she doesn’t wear that particular perfume.
2 - She loves chocolates, so you buy chocolates – she’s on a diet.
3 - She loves handbags, so you buy a handbag – but it’s the wrong colour / wrong designer / should have a shoulder strap / should be clutch (delete as appropriate).
4 - She loves shoes… don’t even go there.
And finally the real test that every male should be warned about as soon as they start to crawl:
5 - She says ‘don’t bother buying me anything, a card will do’… she doesn’t speak to you for a month!
We know it’s not easy - women are just not logical creatures when it comes to gifts. So, at Big Fat Balloons we’ve taken pity on those men who struggle with gift buying. We’ve put together the ultimate guide to buying gifts for women, with 10 top tips to keep you in the good books.
1. Remember important dates – let’s start with the basics, whatever you do don’t miss her birthday / Valentine’s Day / anniversary. There really is no excuse. Keep a list in your diary, set reminders – mobiles and computers usually have an automatic alert system that you can set in advance. Don’t forget to set the reminder at least two weeks before the date so that you’ll have plenty of time to choose a gift (remembering the night before won’t do you much good). Follow this piece of advice and see your popularity with women grow as you start remembering special days.
2. Do your gift homework! – pay attention and listen for hints (we accept that this may be a difficult habit to get into but it could pay dividends). When women are talking about hobbies, favourite shops or even better, say “Oh yeah, I fancy that but I can’t justify buying it for myself”. Bingo! You’re onto a winner. Don’t forget to write the ideas down straight away though – if not, you’ll find you can’t remember anything when it comes to actually buying the gift.
3. Ask for help - sales assistants, work colleagues, friends and family will all be happy to help you choose gifts for women. Just think. If you’re single and the gift is for a relative, it could be a great excuse to talk to that stunning shop assistant!
4. Wrap your gifts beautifully - irrespective of the cost of the gift, wrap and present it beautifully if you want to really impress. Some stores offer this service for a minimal fee if your gift usually ends up looking like it’s had a fight with the sticky tape. Whatever you do, don’t forget to take off the price tag and remove receipts from bags.
5. Build-up your own “gift directory” - keep a list of favourite shops, florists, restaurants and hotels in your phone or diary. Bookmark your favourite gifts websites and subscribe to their e-newsletters - they might become a great source of gift ideas.
6. Keep your eyes and ears open for original gifts all year around - if you find something that would make a great gift for your partner, Mum or daughter… follow your instinct: buy it, wrap it, tag it! If you think to yourself “That would be the perfect present for her” chances are that they will think so too.
7. Check her size – if you’re thinking of buying clothes, make sure you know her size first. You could be letting yourself in for major problems if you buy her something that is too small (‘you think I need to lose weight!’) or too big (‘you think I need to lose weight!’). Or if you’re thinking of perfume, music or books, play it safe by checking out what she likes first.
8. Don’t make excuses - with the internet, phone and mail order, “I’m sorry, I didn’t have time” just won’t cut it. If you have forgotten her birthday or another important date make up for it straight away – a belated gift or sorry gift will be much better than no gift at all.
9. Give surprise gifts – buy an unexpected gift like a balloon in a box or some flowers once in a while, you could even get it delivered to her work place. Or take her out to her favourite restaurant. Women just love surprises!
10. Be generous with your time and attention – although time and attention alone won’t do for birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas or Valentine’s day – try it once if you dare and you’ll soon see what we mean – they will be much appreciated on a day to day basis. Take a walk together, listen to her over a cup of tea, wash the dishes, share a joke…
Word of warning. For some unknown reason, women may become suspicious when the man in their life – who previously didn’t know the difference between Dior and a doorbell – suddenly presents them with thoughtful, desirable gifts, on time and beautifully presented.
We’re not quite sure why this phenomenon occurs, but we advise that you keep a copy of this guide handy to refute any false accusations of improper behaviour.
Make buying a gift enjoyable with the Big Fat Balloons Online School of Gift Buying and learn about:
Want to share your insights, experience and inspiration with our other gift buyers?
Just join in the conversation at Big Fat Blog, for fun gift ideas, company news and products updates.